Introduction: The world has getting smaller every moment. Due to Globalization, it looks as if the entire world has grown up as one nation and every person on earth has become a global citizen.
What is the meaning of Globalization?
Globalization is the process of worldwide integration of economic, financial, cultural, environmental, and communication system.
Globalization refers to a scenario where countries and nations around the world becomes inter-connected and interdependent for meeting their needs, both internal and external, characterized by:
- advanced transportation system (road, sea, and air) between countries,
- movement of capital between countries in the form of investments,
- cross-border transaction of goods and services,
- wide scale financial transactions between nations,
- easy migration, movement and settling up of people in foreign countries,
- inter-exchange of labor between countries, both skilled and unskilled,
- flow of raw-materials, semi-finished goods, finished goods, and services to foreign countries,
- flow of resources from one country to another, both material and human resources,
- massive use of technology including internet technologies,
- transfer of technology and including defense technologies,
- international treaties for defense and security tie-ups,
- international dimension of large business enterprises,
- communication across the globe, and
- massive sharing and exchange of knowledge between countries.
Also read: Short Essay on Globalization
What are the advantages of Globalization?
The advantages or merits of Globalization is discussed below in points:
- Globalization broadens our minds. We feel that we belong to one world and we are a part of one nation, namely, humankind.
- Closer contact with foreign people make us quite familiar with their manners, habits, and customs. The cultures become richer as they come into contact with each other.
- Globalization help us shake off narrowness. We get the chance of comparing our country with other countries. In this way, we enrich our manners, customs, and habits.
- Globalization help us fight illiteracy and promotes education. It gives us clear knowledge of facts and things.
- Globalization help us shed or combat the burning social issues such as child-labor, dowry, etc.
- Globalization has helped the global community to fight against poverty. Large non-profit and charitable organizations have launched massive campaigns to fight hunger and poverty. They have successfully done huge fund-raising in this regard.
- The benefits of science and technology have reached every corner of the world. People around the world are connected through mobile phones and internet technology.
- Globalization has enhanced our knowledge of the world. A merchant can gather valuable information about different commodities in different countries. Firsthand knowledge of people and things is of great importance in international business.
- Due to globalization, a political leader can gather much useful knowledge of the people, forms of government around the world.
- Globalization contribute in improving international relations and friendliness among different nations.
- we can communicate with people all over the world. The human life becomes global. We have a global outlook on life.
- Students can study anywhere in the world.
What are the disadvantages of Globalization?
The disadvantages of demerits of Globalization is discussed below in points:
- In a way, globalization has contributed towards increasing the gap between the rich and the poor. Rich and wealthy people are able to exercise more control over the national resources through the application of science and technology.
- The environment has suffered greatly due of globalization. On one hand, the increase in traffic between countries has polluted the tourist destinations. On the other hand, the poisonous gases released into the air by large industries have caused environmental pollution.
- Globalized business have exploited the natural resources of the earth beyond the tolerable limit. Some places on earth, which was once rich in minerals and forests can no longer claim their richness.
- Globalization tends to make the world a more homogeneous place. As a result, many communities failed to preserve their old tradition, custom, and culture. Being attracted by the culture of developed nations, many people in under-developed nations have shed their traditional dress, food, and rituals. This is yet another disadvantage of Globalization.
- Local businesses, hand-loom industry, Cottage and small-scale industry suffered a lot due to globalization. The highly specialized and efficient multi-national companies take advantages of large-scale production and put products at throwaway prices. The local industries could not compete with their global counterpart.
- The global economy is now inter-connected. The economic downfall of one major economic nation adversely affects the entire global community.
- Globalization has caused specialization of labor. On one hand, there is an increase in demand for skilled labors. However, it has caused enough disadvantages for the unskilled labor group. There are few employment opportunity for unskilled labors in a global environment.
- The more technologically advanced countries are able to sell their products to less-developed countries. Hence, the less developed countries become dependent upon the superior nations.
- The adverse effect of globalization is not restricted to financial and economical imbalance. Last century has witness spread of diseases from one country to another country. Diseases spread to local places when a diseased person from a foreign country comes in contact with local inhabitants.
- Globalization is responsible for the emergence of large number of multi-national companies. Very often, it is found that they do not provide good working condition to the workers. Further, forests have been cut for setting up large industries. The industrial discharges have widely contributed towards environmental degradation.
- Globalization can pressure us to act in a certain way.
Conclusion: In spite of so many disadvantages of Globalization, one must admit that no country can afford to ignore the wave of Globalization. Globalization, thus, is a reality. However, adequate care, caution, and measures should be taken to mitigate the ill effects of Globalization so that every nation can take the fullest advantage of Globalization.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and ArticlesTagged With: Globalization
Advantages and Disadvantages Of Globalization Essay, Note, Paragraph,Speech , Importance
- Essay On Globalization
- Advantages Of Globalization
- Disadvantages Of Globalization
- Importance of Globalization
- Advantages and Disadvantages
What is Globalization ? Advantages – Disadvantages
Globalization as described in Wikipedia is a system of international integration that often arises from the interchange of world products, views, ideas and some aspects of culture. It is a process in which there is a mutual interaction of countries interested in each other for cultural, trade related or any other such exchanges. It is a system of unification of ideas and unification of people guided by a profit factor.
Advantages Of Globalization
Globalization has been a continuous phenomenon. The history of mankind is a proof to the fact that from the ancient times itself people from different places have come together for trade, cultural exchanges and also ideas. Globalization, Industrialization and modernization are three phenomena that go together. After discovery of unknown lands when people came to know of existence of civilizations completely different from each other, they soon became curious and thus negotiated with each other for profitable interactions between them. In this way many commodities like spices, textiles, fruits or vegetables which were not available in their own places, now became available. Scholars from different places have travelled to India too and thus playing an important role in popularizing the Indian Manuscripts or even medicinal systems like Ayurveda in other places. Similarly countries rich in technology depended on countries rich in natural resources for raw materials. Machine produced goods became popular because they were cheap. In this way, slowly there was inception of technological advancement in the less developed areas too. Railways, communication lines, transportations improved over time. Distance and gap of communication between countries decreased and thus at the time of need it was possible to provide help each other. Death due to famines also lessened because of ease of transportation of food grains. Thus rapid growth of everything brought the whole picture of the present into its form.
Merits,Advantages Of Globalization
Globalization Advantages creates competition between foreign companies and thus there is pressure on them to improve quality and structure for more consumer interest and sale. The prices get cheaper too. Education quality has also become a need of the hour and thus literacy rate have also increased. Communication has improved with progress in internet and media. Foreign companies setting up their institutes open up job opportunities for the host country.
Disadvantages Of Globalization Demerits
However there are negative effects too. If we take the example of India, our Local industries suffer because of people showing more interests in imported goods. Our ayurvedic, homeopathic system of medicines are very less adopted by maximum Indians. There is a loss of culture. Westernization of culture in India is not exactly fitting with the landscape and it creates problems at times. Our own culture has to be preserved and protected first. Globalization of diseases also occurs as people migrate or travel to different places. Not to forget the degradation caused to the environment by rapid growth of industries and also in building concrete sceneries of cities. The natural habitat is no more a pristine one. Both human and wildlife faces interferences from each other. Because of narrowing of boundaries between jungles and human habitat, lot of times animals are seen walking in places where human live.
Conclusion Globalization Advantages , Disadvantage, Essay, Importance
Thus overall we need to create a balance between what is being gained through globalization and also keep the dark side in the dark.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Globalization
Merits and Demerits of Globalization
Globalization is a major part of development. It is a system or an organization that operates on an international scale. This may include advancement in transport and communication, a rise in the telecommunication infrastructure and the growth of world’s economies and culture.
Today, let us take a look on the advantages and disadvantages of globalization in the world.
Advantages of Globalization | Benefits of Globalization
- The advancements in science and technology allowed business to easily cross the boundaries of the territories. Due to this, various companies have been able to turn into multinational companies and have increased productivity and raised the standard of living as well as improved the qualities of the goods produced.
- Several companies have been able to spread from national to international spree and have opened various branches in several foreign countries.
- Globalization has helped the underdeveloped countries to step in the stair of developing countries and the less developed countries has been able to develop more by measuring their diversities.
- Due to globalization, a growth in the field of education has taken place worldwide. There are places where there were no schools or other educational facilities. But today, globalization has helped these countries to shed their backwardness in terms of literacy.
- Globalization also enabled the increase in employment opportunities and also have stressed onto the distribution of equal wages among the labours.
- It has also enabled selling of goods at cheaper rates due to a large competition in the market.
- Communication today is widespread and is improving day by day extending the boundaries.
- Social engagement of people have increased due to globalization. People have become more open towards one another.
- Barren lands have been used to build up infrastructure which are actually not suitable for agriculture.
Disadvantages of Globalization | Demerits of Globalization
- The multinational companies have been socially unfair. Labours are made to work for more hours illegally for more production and paid less.
- Globalization has made the rich richer and the poor, poorer. The middle class suffer the most in the process. Globalization itself is a phenomena that is developing countries, but it does not reduce poverty.
- Misuse and mismanagement of natural resources is another drawback of globalization.
- The dominance of powerful nations over the poor ones also exists. Thus the still existing underdeveloped countries suffer.
- Growth of trade deficit and balance of payment problems takes place due to more imports than exports. This is a result of globalization.
- Globalization involves greater use of technology day by day so a time may come when there will be large unemployment problems as labourers will be replaced and are being replaced by automated machines which work faster and produce more.
- Villages are being removed and the poor suffer loss of shelter. The system of globalization does not promote anything for the betterment of the poor.
- Culture is being neglected in the process of globalization. Theatres and cultural stadiums are replaced by malls and offices.
- People have to forcefully accept the changes of their environment and bear the uncertainties of structural readjustments.
- Greenery is almost lost due to the upbringing of globalization.
- Private sectors are more benefited than the public sectors.
Conclusion on Pros and Cons of Globalization
To conclude that globalization is a developing process but sometimes it may or may not favor all the factors that leads to overall development of the world. Equal opportunities should be provided in every sector and should be functioned with cooperation.